When is the right time to move out (of the company)?

For days I was contemplating of writing and publishing this post. And whether writing down my thoughts would help me unload the heaviness I felt inside.

I remember two years ago when I attended an initial interview, my interviewer had asked me something that goes like this: "Do you think that your two-year stay with your company is enough for you to decide to get out?" I was speechless for a moment. I stuttered. And I think I reply something like "yes". Ugh. That was not the right answer, definitely not the right answer. And I guess, it was the reason why I was not shortlisted.

By then it was not very clear to me why I want to move out. Everytime I was asked for reasons of leaving, I always used the already worn-out statement: carreer move. And I could not supply statement that could justify my reason. I guess, behind the carreer-move reason is the willingness to stay, the enjoyment of working with the same colleagues, the enjoyment of doing the same thing everyday, the fulfilled feeling of doing something important and be recognized for it. And that carreer-move reason is just a mask for me to get out of the company because of financial reason.

As I gain years of working in my current company, I realized that time is not a factor for one employee to say "I've spent my maximum years here, I need to move out".

I am on my 3 years going to 4 years of stay with the company that has been my second home, a place where I had found friendship, an institution that had built my carreer over the last three years... as much as I don't want to be nostalgic about it but I can now say it's time for me to move on.

As I am pondering the thoughts of 'moving on', I have researched and written down the hidden reasons why one employee seeks other opportunities:

  1. The job or workplace was not as expected
  2. The mismatch between job and person
  3. Too little coaching and feedback
  4. Too few growth and advancement opportunities
  5. Feeling devalued and unrecognized
  6. Stress from overwork and work-life imbalance
  7. Loss of trus and confidence in senior leaders


... these speak it all.

(Source: 7 Hidden Reasons Employees Leave)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails