How to avoid this tricky 'Office Dumb Moment'

Imagine this.

You are typing very furiously while giving an exasperated gasp seeing the time displayed on the task bar of your monitor indicates you are already few minutes behind the deadline set for your deliverables. Worst is your fingers aren’t on their best functioning moments as if you are experiencing a trigger finger disorder (is a common disorder of later adulthood characterized by catching, snapping or locking of the involved finger flexor tendon, associated with dysfunction and pain) causing you to type incorrect words (such as 'she' as 'hse') or missing up one word (such as the 'you' from 'thank you for considering...'). It is a good thing your eyes are used to scanning document contents that make you an expert to notice some not very obvious typo. You're in the middle of your dilemma when you see a follow up email from your boss sliding in your taskbar. You're hearing the buzzer sound and in your mind you're seeing the impatient look of your boss - this sends a chill down your spine disturbing your focus and causing you to be more miserable. You let out another heave as if by just doing that you could lessen the panic you are feeling. You mumble, no, more like an insane singing "I'm almost there, I'm almost there" combined with "you can do it, you can do it" monologue to boost yourself. You're typing now the last line of your email, finally signing it off with your e-signature and then you hit the Send button. Email sent! You are now thanking heavens for this.

It’s your pattern to always double-check if the email was successfully sent to the intended recipient. You go to the Sent Items and click the email… then you’d discover the attachment is missing!!!

Of the all the things to forgot, why the very important document! You’re competency and efficiency depends on it! You’re boss is on it fast with a message that reads “no attachment????” Ugh! You could have scream if it were not for the thought that you would be disturbing the peace and order of the office. You are silently scolding yourself while immediately composing a reply for apology and this time, ensuring you have the correct file attached.

This moment always comes in as #1 in my top office dumb moments list.

Actually, I had few tips in mind to dodge off this ‘no attachment’ office syndrome when sending an email, but I failed to remind myself of these in that awkward moment a while ago.

Tips on how not to forget your email attachment:

1. Add the attachment first
2. Check if the attachment is correct
3. Compose your message
4. Add in the recipients
5. Proof-read
6. Send

Sending an email is still very tricky sometimes. If you're in a hurry, you tend to forgot those reminders above. So I did try searching if the outlook offers an automatic 'no attachment' reminders. I was not dispointed because there is actually one outlook plug-in that will save you from future embarrassing mistakes. ReplyButler will help you deliver a better impression, you will never ever do the same mistakes of mistyping a name and forgetting an attachment.

I hope this helps you guys.



5 comments:

Ricademus said...

Hahaha! I'm glad it's not just me who does that. That's a good idea about adding the attachment first. Like you I check the "sent" message when it's something important. Sometimes I worry I attached the wrong document, but that has never happened--not yet!

acutelife said...

Yes yes, I couldnt agree more, I did that mistake before and felt so unprofessional afterwards...hence now I always add the attachment first!

Unknown said...

I used to do this all the time! I hated getting that reply email "where's the attachment?" ...good advice on how to prevent this mistake

Trish said...

hello you are a new reader of mine! im also following you now =]

& i just wanted you to know that i have a new temporary URL, read my entry for more info why T_T

http://hk-loves-treck.blogspot.com/

Online blessings said...

sorry for not visiting you for sometime, quite busy, I will try to post some news about my earnings later. See you

Related Posts with Thumbnails